BC Healthy Built Environment Alliance
The Healthy Built Environment Alliance (HBEA) is a voluntary alliance of organizations from a wide variety of sectors across BC which provides leadership and action for healthier, more livable communities. The purpose of HBEA is to:
- Bring together the public health professions and the design professions to better understand the health impacts of the built environment.
- Ensure this understanding is transmitted to the design professions, the health professions, the development industry, policy makers at all levels of government, and the public who live in the environments created or regulated by the private and public sectors.
- Support creation of healthier built environments and evaluation of the health, social, environmental and economic impacts of built environments.
Network and Steering Committee members participate in quarterly online/teleconference meetings that include guest speaker presentations and discussion with a range of professional stakeholders across the province such as representatives from public health, planning and other design professions, and local governments.
In addition to attending the information presentations and discussion, Steering Committee members also conduct business meetings in order to plan for HBEA events and identify emerging opportunities for collaboration and/or other initiatives to advance healthy built environment goals.
JOIN THE NETWORK
If you are interested in learning about and/or taking action to ensure built environments promote health in our communities, please consider joining the HBEA Network.
If you are interested in joining the Steering Committee and becoming more deeply involved in HBEA decision making and planning, you must have five years of experience working with population health professionals in order to address health outcomes related to built environments. HBEA meetings are held quarterly and can be attended in person (in Vancouver) or by teleconference.
To apply for membership: If you are interested in either joining the Network or Steering Committee, please submit your resume and an email expressing your interest to Charito Gailling, Project Manager with Provincial Health Services at charito.gailling[at]bccdc.ca. Please specify if you are interested in joining the Network or Steering Committee.
To learn more about the HBEA and its activities, visit the Healthy Built Environment Alliance section of the Provincial Health Services Authority website.
- HBEA Membership includes:
- BC Healthy Communities
- BC Healthy Living Alliance
- BC Ministry of Community Sport & Cultural Development
- BC Ministry of Health
- BC Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure
- BC Recreation & Parks Association
- BC Transit
- First Nations Health Authority
- Fraser Health
- Heart and Stroke Foundation of BC & Yukon
- Human Early Learning Partnership
- Lees & Associates
- Interior Health
- Island Health
- Northern Health
- Planning Institute of BC
- Provincial Health Services Authority
- BC Centre for Disease Control
- Children’s & Women’s Health Centre of BC
- Simon Fraser University
- Smart Growth BC
- Union of BC Municipalities
- University of BC
- Urban Development Institute – Pacific Region
- Vancouver Coastal Health