Webinar: Environmental Protection and the Built Environment - Develop with Care 2014
Host: Province of BC
Times: 9:00 am – 10:30 am or 1:30 pm – 3:00 pm
- Helene Roberge, Unit Head, Clean Communities, Ministry of Environment
- Margaret Henigman, Ecosystem Biologist, Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations
This webinar is for:
- Local governments, developers, landscape architects, planning and engineering consultants, non-government organizations and anyone involved in land use.
- PIBC Continuous Professional Learning: Eligible planners and PIBC Members can earn 1.50 CPL Learning Units by participating in this event.
How do you develop sites to preserve water resources? How far should development be set back from riparian areas? What steps should you take to manage the agriculture/urban interface? How do you support healthy built environments in your community? How do you prevent site contamination, which can be costly to remediate? These and many more questions abound on how best to care for environmental values during land development and redevelopment.
The internationally-acclaimed Develop with Care 2014: Environmental Guidelines for Urban and Rural Land Development in British Columbia is an indispensable tool for anyone involved in land development or community planning. The latest edition expands the document scope and includes new information on provincial programs and direction. It features information on ‘green’ alternatives to standard urban development practices, shoreline protection requirements, climate change adaptation principles, waste management, healthy built environments, the protection of species and ecosystems, water management and much more.
Whether you are familiar with the document or newly acquainted, this session will:
- Inform you about the latest (2014) updates, including new information on environmental protection issues in the built environment and where to find the information you are looking for;
- Provide valuable insights on how to apply the guidelines to land use decisions and the protection of environmental resources in your community by using examples and case studies; and
- Give you the opportunity to provide feedback on the document and make recommendations for future versions.
To see the document, please go to http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/documents/bmp/devwithcare/.
Instructions for Registering
You have the option of participating in this webinar in either the morning or the afternoon of June 24th. Please register by reply email to Cindy Bertram of C. Rankin and Associates (firstname.lastname@example.org), who has been contracted to handle the webinar logistics, stating your session preference. Registration is limited and will be on a first-come, first-served basis. You will receive a confirmation from Cindy Bertram as to your registration status within twenty-four (24) hours. Registrants will then receive an invitation through GoToWebinar the day before the webinar.
If you have colleagues whom you feel would benefit from participating in this webinar, please feel free to forward this notice to them. Please note that this webinar will not be taped.
Questions? For other questions related to this webinar or Develop with Care, please contact Cindy Bertram at email@example.com.
*Note: This webinar is a repeat of one held on April 9, 2015.