Funding Support for Local Government FAQs

 Frequently Asked Questions

General FAQs

Q: Can communities apply for both Social Connectedness and Physical Activity funding?

A: Yes, communities can submit an application to both calls for proposals. However, depending on the volume of applications, communities may not receive funding for both areas.

Q: Can an applicant apply for more than one activity?

A: Yes, local governments may submit multiple, separate applications for separate activities. For example, if you wish to fund three activities, you must submit three separate applications. However, it is unlikely that more than one project will be funded.

Q: We have received funding from previous streams of HCCB Funding. Are we exempt from applying again?

A: Previous grant recipients can apply, however a final report for the earlier activities must be submitted before applying for an additional grant. Applicants must also demonstrate how the new activities differ from and/or build on the work completed as part of earlier activities.

Q: Is this opportunity only available for municipalities to apply or can non-profits apply independently?

A: Local governments (municipality, regional district, First Nations or Métis Chartered Community) must be the primary applicant. If you are partnering with a local government for your project, and the project meets the funding guidelines, the local government can apply on behalf of the team.

Q: Are these grants available to entrepreneurs?

A: No. Please see answer above.

Q: Will the grants be divided equally amongst the Health Authority regions?

A: Consideration will be given to geographic equity, while still giving priority to the overall quality of each application. The grants will be divided amongst the health authority regions, although, it’s not certain that each health authority region will have the same number of successful applicants.

Q: Are unincorporated communities eligible for the funds?

A: In the case of unincorporated communities, it would have to be the regional district that applies for the funding. There may be exceptions for communities that do not fall under a regional district area. In those cases, please contact us at or 250-590-8432 to confirm eligibility before applying. 

Q: Will you accept multiple applications from Regional Districts?

A: Given that there are multiple Electoral Areas in a given Regional District, we are supportive of multiple applications from Regional Districts as long as the applications support different Electoral Areas. Each Electoral Area can only submit one application.

Q: Who is eligible to apply for the Healthy Communities Capacity Building Grant?

A: The following organizations are eligible to apply for the Community Capacity Building Grant:

  • Regional Districts;
  • Municipalities;
  • First Nations Bands;
  • First Nations Tribal Councils; and
  • Métis Chartered Communities. 

The following organizations are not eligible to apply for the Community Capacity Building Grant:

  • Individuals;
  • For-profit groups;
  • School Districts;
  • Hospital Foundations;
  • Community Groups/Organizations; and
  • Health Authorities.

BC Healthy Communities encourages partnerships and suggests that ineligible organizations contact eligible organizations to discuss working together. The focus of this fund is to support learning, leadership and partnership at a local government level in order to increase the health and well-being of B.C. citizens and communities.

Q: Can the grant be used to fund consultant fees?

A: The Healthy Communities Capacity Building Grant can be used to fund consultant fees, however, communities must demonstrate how the consultant will engage local government and build the capacity of local government for the future.

Examples of Eligible Consultant Costs:

  • The facilitation of events or workshops that build the local government capacity and partnerships.
  • The delivery of a process to assist the local government in planning for health and being.

Examples of Ineligible Consultant Costs:

  • The production of a report without further engagement or discussion with local government staff or council.                                                                          

Q: Can the grant be used to fund partnership work that is ongoing?

A: Yes, however, applicants should show how the grant will deepen and strengthen the existing partnership work.

Q: Is it possible to meet with BC Healthy Communities Society prior to submitting an application to ensure that the application has the greatest chance of success?

While in-person meetings are not possible, communities are encouraged to contact BC Healthy Communities Society by telephone or email to discuss potential ideas prior to submitting an application.  For further information, please contact Gagan Leekha at or (250) 590-8432.


Social Connectedness FAQs


Q: I missed the info webinar which took place on April 26th. Is there a recording?

A: Yes, a recording of the webinar can be found here.

Q: What are the chances of really small communities to get a grant? We can't generally compete with larger communities and organizations.

A: PlanH has a good history of providing grants to rural and remote communities. We will be considering equity issues such as community size and geographic region when reviewing applications. We encourage all communities that meet the funding criteria for Stream One: Cultivating Connections (p. 10 of Application Guide) or Stream Two: Resilient Streets (p. 16 of the Application Guide) to apply

Q: What would be the best governmental department to manage this type of project?

A: A number of different departments (Planning, Sustainability, Arts and Culture, Parks and Recreation, etc.) could be working on issues related to social connectedness. This will depend on the priorities and structure of your local government. Applications will not be assessed based on governmental department.

Q: Will this program be available next year?

A: We don’t know. PlanH funding is renewed on an annual basis and the grant focus areas shift according to emerging issues and funding. The best way to stay up to date on news on the PlanH program, is to sign up for the e-news.

Q: Do you require a local government resolution from City Council in order to apply?

A: No, we do not require resolution from City Council to apply.

Q: We need time to submit a staff report to council for their approval and that is a 4-6 week process. Any chance of the deadline being extended?

At this time we are not able to offer an extension because it will affect our adjudication process and timelines for the grants themselves. We opened the call for proposal on March 31st with the hope that two months would offer enough time for any approval processes. We are sorry we cannot accommodate this request.

Q: Are First Nations eligible to apply for these grants?

A: Yes, these grants are for local governments including First Nation Bands, First Nations Tribal Councils, Métis Chartered Communities, Regional Districts, and Municipalities. The Resilient Streets model can be adapted to a range of community and cultural contexts. We encourage a diversity of communities (rural, urban, First Nations, etc) to apply.

Q: Is matching funding from Local Government and other partners required for these grants?

A: Matching funds or in-kind support is required for Stream Two: Resilient Streets (minimum $5,000) but not Stream One: Cultivating Connections, although encouraged.

Q: Can we use this funding for capital costs?

A: Up to 20% of your project budget can be used for capital costs (e.g. supplies/equipment) directly related to increasing social connectedness in your community.


Q: Will unsuccessful applicants be able to attend the resilient streets training?

A: Unfortunately, this training will be for the Resilient Streets cohort so they can learn from each other’s experiences of rolling out the program in their unique community contexts. However, for Stream One: Cultivating Connections, the online learning network will be open to everyone. The best way to stay informed about these and other events is through the PlanH e-news. You can sign up here.

Q: Can you apply for Stream 2 if you are a Regional District, and don't have ownership of the streets?

A: Yes, Regional Districts may apply for Stream 2 as long as their proposed activities are promoting action at the residential street or residential building level.

Q: What is a coaching grant?

A: A coaching grant is in-kind customized coaching support from BC Healthy Communities valued at up to $5,000. This portion of the grant is not paid out in cash; it is in the form of additional coaching support personalized to the unique needs of each group. Coaching grants accompany the Resilient Streets stream of funding only.


Active Communities FAQs

Q: Can we use this funding for capital costs?

A: The Active Communities grant program is not intended to be a capital funding program. However, minor capital expenditures for eligible activities that have a clear and definable benefit to communities and are clearly linked to planning or programming to increase physical activity opportunities at the community level will be considered for funding. Capital costs cannot exceed 40% of the total requested grant (i.e. an application for a $20,000.00 grant cannot include more than $8,000.00 in capital costs). Capital is broadly defined as ‘tangible assets’ that are required to support the planning or programming for physical activity as laid out in the proposal.

Q: What is a coaching grant?

A: A coaching grant is in-kind customized coaching support from BC Healthy Communities valued at up to $5,000. This portion of the grant is not paid out in cash, it is in the form of additional coaching support personalized to the unique needs of each group.

In order to support those communities or regions who are interested in utilizing their Active Communities grant and leveraging their project towards long-term measurable impact on physical activity, BC Healthy Communities is pleased to offer additional supports in the form of a coaching grant valued at $5,000 for three grant recipients in both Island and Interior Health regions.