Sustainable Rural Development
Date: September 28, 2017
Time: 8:30am - 5:00pm
Location: Island Saving Centre, 2687 James Street Duncan, BC
Please join the Planning Institute of BC Vancouver Island chapter for a full-day symposium to further the discourse on sustainable rural development in the central and north Vancouver Island region. For planners and by planners, this symposium is an opportunity to learn from one another through relevant and local case studies and experiences.Preliminary topics include:
- Sustainable Rural Development - what does it mean and what is being accomplished?
- Servicing - what should be the role of "village centres" in rural areas and what are servicing challenges and successes?
- Development market outlook for the central and north Island - what tools can planners use to project demand? What can we learn from other disciplines?
- The sharing economy - trends and local government response to Air BnB, short term vacation rentals, and other movements of the sharing economy.
- Sustainable food systems - What have we achievied in the past decade with sustainable food systems in rural planning? Is there a need to refocus? How are we responding to development pressure on ALR lands?
Stay tuned for more details including speaker announcements.