Facing a Changing World: Transformative Leadership and Practice
Drawing practitioners of public health from all over the province, PHABC’s annual Summer School is BC’s leading forum for inspiration, sharing, and learning on public health and health equity at the individual, health care system, and community levels.
The 2017 PHABC Summer School on July 6-7, 2017, 8th consecutive year will explore the theme “Facing a Changing World: Transformative Leadership and Practice” and its applications through public health sectors Child and Youth Health, Indigenous Health, Planetary Health and Healthy Built Environments, and Immigrant and Refugee Health.
University of Victoria, University of British Columbia, University of British Columbia Okanagan, University of Northern British Columbia
PHABC Summer School welcomes participants who are working directly or indirectly on public health issues and health promoting activities across the province, including but not limited to:
- Frontline Health Providers
- Recreation Practitioners
- Municipal Council Members
- Academics & Researchers
- Program & Project Planners
- Policy Analysts
- Health Educators and Community Health Workers
- Graduate & Medical Students
This two-day summer school is a unique collaboration of key-note presentations, case studies and hands on workshops that dive into the meaning of transformative practice and social innovation and its applications across multiple sectors in public health. The PHABC Summer School provides the opportunity for professionals throughout the province to meet, mingle and learn during discussion groups on site as well as across sites through UBC Video Technologies.
There are four topic areas being presented in the upcoming PHABC’s Summer School 2017. Within these topics there will be examples of transformative leadership and practice, collaboration and community engagement, and impactful innovative solutions.
- Child and Youth Development
- Immigrant Health
- Indigenous Health
- Planetary Health- Healthy Built Environment
Objectives of PHABC’s Summer School
By the end of the summer school attendees will be able to:
- Define transformative leadership and practice.
- Consider new opportunities to meet the changing public health needs within communities.
- Examine ways to achieve a shared goal of population health improvement.
- Examine innovative solutions.
2 Day Registration*
- PHABC Members: $100.00
- Non-members; $160.00
- Student Members: $80.00
- Student Non-members: $120.00
*Registration does not include lunch; but refreshments will be served at main sites.
PHABC Membership Annual Fee (Optional)
- Regular: $50.00
- Student: $30.00
- Retired: $30.00
Benefits of becoming a PHABC Member:
1. SAVE on registration for the Summer School and Fall Annual Conference;
2. Stay in touch with Public Health activities and Health Promotion initiatives across BC; and
3. Network with intersectoral partners concerned about climate change and its impact on the health of British Colombians.
For more information on registration contact Annie and Kate at firstname.lastname@example.org